Hans Christian Andersen Airport's history dates back to 1943, when the German occupation began construction of an airfield in Beldringe. Some farms near the airport were removed, while others that were not directly in the path of the runway remain.
Since the 1950's Hans Christian Andersen Airport has more or less been in development. Some of the years there has been a lot of development and other years less, but over the time the airport has quietly evolved.
In 1969 the part of the airport building, which housed tower and restaurant ,designed by the Germans, burned. In 1970 the existing terminal building and tower was built. As the traffic rose through the 70's and 80's further extensions to the terminal were build.
There have been significant periods in Hans Christian Andersen Airport's history. For example, at the time Mr Maersk Mc-Kinney Moller decided to initiate the Jet age and obtain the first Boeing 737 to be used on the flight from Odense to Copenhagen every morning and evening. The aircraft was also used to fly charter guests. This meant that Hans Christian Andersen Airport had to reinforce the runway, so it could carry the much heavier aircraft compared to the ones it had previously been used for.
In the following 20 years, domestic air traffic was stable at the Hans Christian Andersen Airport. It was a distinctly Maersk airport with many Maersk Air employees for different positions at the airport, like: ticketing, operation, etc.
During the 80s began the first serious plans for Storebælt Bridge and the matter of Hans Christian Andersen Airport's survival was on the agenda of the Ministry of Transport, the county council and municipal councils around the airport.
1. of January 1998 the State transferred Hans Christian Andersen Airport to Funen, and Hans Christian Andersen Airport (limited liability company) was formed by the County of Funen and Odense, Soendersoe, Otterup, Bogense and Munkebo Municipalities. Based on local government reform and the abolition of the counties the owners now are Odense and Nordfyns Municipalities.
A committee with representatives of the interested municipalities and District Governor Karen Nøhr at the lead was established.
The committee elected a Supervisory Board for the airport with knowledge of aviation, business management and law.
By the end of 1998, the era of scheduled flights from Hans Christian Andersen Airport was finished.
However, it was not Hans Christian Andersen Airport's end.
The time was used for many different actions, which included an cooperation agreement with a British company for some years, which meant that the airport was supplied with a lot of money. As cooperation with the British company ceased, charter flights from Hans Christian Andersen Airport started again seriously gaining momentum.
TopRejser and Gislev Travel as solid travel companies could sense that some of their guests would want to avoid the long bus transport, and therefore they fly now from Hans Christian Andersen Airport to Italy. During the past four years Apollo Travel has also manifested charter flights from Hans Christian Andersen Airport.
Therefore Hans Christian Andersen Airport is looking with great joy to the future perspective. We look forward to even more travelers, who can experience how easy and convenient it is to fly from Hans Christian Andersen Airport. There are no long waiting times at check-in or security, and you can even park for free just 50 meters from the check-in counters.
Hans Christian Andersen Airport's total area is approx. 170 hectares. Of which approx. 120 hectares are inside the fence.